MISS MOOX + Suzanne Kasler

At The End of Your Rope!

A friend of mine's husband just built her a daybed suspended by chain on the porch off of their master bedroom. It is heavenly (well, it will be when the weather is cooler)! We were discussing ways to "dress" the bed and the idea of covering the chain in rope came up, much like designer Suzanne Kasler did in the Watersound showhouse pictured above. It got me to thinking of all the cool uses this heavy, nautical inspired rope could be used in decor...

I am not sure if they originated the idea, but I know Lee Kleinhelter of Pieces Inc. and Kay Douglas of South of Market, both use the rope to cover electrical cord when converting items such as baskets into light fixtures. I especially love the raw, texture mixed with industrial pieces!

The guru of creative thinking Martha Stewart has many ideas for using rope in decor. On her site you can find tutorials on creating a nautical inspired lamp and barstools. I have also seen rope used to cover the arms of a chandelier, as the "frame" for a mirror and wound around a cyclindrical table base. [I don't have time to search for these images but I promise to attach later on if I come across them. My apologies!]

And if you aren't excited by the raw look of the rope, try painting it! You can get the wonderful texture while achieving a much sleeker look! Do you have any other creative uses for rope in interior design? If so, let's hear it!
~Images: 1) Coastal Living Oct 2007 2) Suzanne Kasler 3) Pieces Inc 4 and 5) South of Market

art, inspiration, Interior Design, Kay Douglas, Lee Kleinhelter, life, Lighting, and more:

Relevant to: At The End of Your Rope! + Suzanne Kasler