MISS MOOX + Ruthie Sommers

Displaying Books

I am a huge fan of big, fat coffee table books. I have a ton of them, most on interior design, that are scattered throughout my house: on tabletops, under benches, in baskets tucked into nooks and of course, on bookcases. I recently told a client that she needed to buy some coffee table books and she looked at me with a puzzled expression. I defended my statement by saying that I think books are a great way to express your personality. Walking into my house, you can tell instantly that I am into interior design, architecture, Charleston history, art, photography, fashion and cooking (although those books are rather dusty these days). I suggested she spend an hour or so on Amazon researching her favorite subjects. You can oftentimes find slightly used issues at a discounted rate. The bargain table at Barnes & Nobleis another great spot to pick up some good quality books for a steal. Artbook.com is also a great resource for all things design related.

I especially love them stacked on coffee tables like this...



Or use them AS your coffee/end table/nightstand!








Or try one of these creative book displays...

You can get a spine bookcase similar to this from WestElm.

I love the idea of covering them in craft paper or wallpaper for a more unified look.
[I know I have seen them also with the titles handwritten in caligraphy on the spines. Can't for the life of me remember the magazine. Anyone? Anyone?]

Or arrange them by color...

Need some more inspiration? Check out this book by House Beautiful.

~Images: 1) Ruthis Sommers home in Domino Spring/Summer 2005 2) Domino Nov 2005 3) Domino May 2007 4) Courtesy of Apartment Therapy 5) Domino Nov 2006 6) KWID 7) Unknown 8) Ad for Briger & Briger 9) Domino April 2007 10) Domino April 2006

Accessories, art, inspiration, Interior Design, Kelly Wearstler, life, and more:

Relevant to: Displaying Books + Ruthie Sommers