MISS MOOX + Movies

St. Elmo's Fire

I watched St. Elmo's Fire over the weekend. Man is that one hell (said in a whisper) of a good movie! I'm totally going to incorporate "Aboogaboogabooguhuhuh" into my everyday vocabulary. If you know me or are a faithful reader of my blog you will know how obsessed I am with movies and that one of my dreams was/is to do set design. [If anyone reading knows how I can get involved doing this in Charleston, please let me know. I have tried several avenues and I've not had any success. I will get coffee for the set designer of a movie being filmed here...just want to be involved and learn!] So one of the things I love most about this movie is how the perspective character's apartments' represent the characters so well. Let's take a look, shall we?

Alec and Leslie define the ultimate yuppie couple! They have this huge loft apartment probably in the most up and coming neighborhood of D.C. The Nike poster as art on their wall is a literal nod to their love of status and consumption. As is this shot below which shows them ordering new furniture from big box companies.

stelmosfire1

As an architect, you can see Leslie's design influences, in the space as well with a mix of modern, traditional and industrial like the glass block wall, oriental rugs and architectural lights.

photo via dipity.com

Jules apartment, with help by her decorator Ron, is totally her...expensive and flashy! Very modern and minimalist with no antiques. The colors are feminine and current to the pastels that were popular at that time in the 80's. Also note the unique pieces like the neon Billy Idol wall art and the repurposed coffee table made of concrete risers that show she has some edge to her personality.

photo via apartment therapy

Kirby and Kevin's apartment definitely represents two bachelors post college! But I'd say it has more of Kevin's influence with the boho color scheme and eclectic mix of decor items including record album's, bongos, and let's not forget the coffin! He is a writer and has a poster of, I'm assuming, his idol Woody Allen over the mantle so right away you know he is a lovelorn romantic.

stelmosfire2
stelmosfire3

photos via http://warymeyers.blogspot.com

I couldn't find any images of Wendy's new apartment...but it was traditional, classic and comfortable just like her. I have always loved her quote and thought of it myself when I spent the first night in my house.

"Yea... ya wanna know what's great? Last night I woke up in the middle of the night to make myself a peanut butter and jelly sandwich... and ya know, it was my kitchen, it was my refrigerator, it was my apartment... and it was the BEST peanut butter and jelly sandwich that I have had in my entire life!"

art, inspiration, life, Movie Reference, and more:

Relevant to: St. Elmo's Fire + Movies