MISS MOOX + Well Coiffed Closet

Schmoozing With Elizabeth Gumb of The Well Coiffed Closet

I recently sat down with my friend Elizabeth Gumb to chat with her about her growing business in the Charleston office of The Well Coiffed Closet. For those of you who don't know her, Elizabeth is a Personal Stylist whose passion is helping others find their own personal style! Elizabeth is able to help her clients with all of their wardrobe needs - from organizing closets to shopping for garments to creating personal client look books by occasion or season.

Elizabeth Gumb of Well Coiffed Closet

Her home is as stylish as she is and bears her signature pink color!

So tell us, how did you meet the owner, Megan Evans, of The Well Coiffed Closet?
We actually got connected through mutual friends... she's from Charleston and started The Well Coiffed Closet in New York about four years ago. Being from here, she wanted to open a Charleston office and I’m thrilled she brought me on to be at it’s helm.

Were there any indicators that told you this is what you should be doing?
Well, I was voted best dressed in high school, and I wasn't scared to try new looks! I've always been the one when I'm shopping with friends saying, "You should totally buy this, it'll look great on you!" or the first one they asked to help them pack for trips and put outfits together. I’ve been known to plan outfits – down to the earring – for my own trips and I’ve begun to realize how helpful it is to have certain “looks” planned out in advance for clients.

Some of Elizabeth's old packing lists...
she doesn't discriminate Atari shirt, Cynthia Rowley shirt...

What skills do you think make a good stylist?
It is of the utmost importance to understand fit, form, proportion, as well as be able to have an innate eye for style.

What's your typical routine with a new client?
We sit down and discuss what their closet ‘issue’ is. It is unique to each client as some people call me to help them organize their closets, put looks together, help cleanse their closet, help with shopping, or all of the above. And I just want to stress that everyone says to me: “I’d never let you in my closet—I’d be embarrassed!” But people have to realize that I never see perfect closets because that is why they are calling me. To help them get to that perfect closet!

A favorite of Elizabeth's she wore on her 29th birthday!

According to Elizabeth, "Fashion needs to be fun and effortless…
you shouldn't have to think too hard when you walk into your closet.
If you do, it may be time to clean out, update and overhaul."

Elizabeth pulled some more faves from her closet
"I love the fact that you can dress this skirt up or down...
you have to have those versatile pieces."

If you could pick three things every woman should have in her closet this fall what would they be?
I definitely think that every woman needs three essentials this fall, and they are all investment pieces to wear for years to come. The first being a pencil skirt, which is such a classic look with so many different tops. Then I’d love to see the pencil skirt paired with a camel sweater, and you can’t go wrong with the color, as it is the quintessential neutral. I love adding a bright silk blouse underneath camel, or adding the camel to bright jeans. Also, a boxy, top-handle purse is great. I love this one by LoefflerRandall because it also has the crossbody strap. And everyone needs a clutch. I have my eye on this Lizzie Fortunatoone. Oops that was four. But I could go on and on!

What has been the most rewarding part of your job?
What makes me the happiest is helping my clients find that piece of self-confidence that may have been missing in them. By finding new looks with pieces they already own, and helping them figure out the best way for them to pair them together, it makes them happy, and more importantly, confidant to walk out the door.

What are your favorite fashion magazines?

Lucky Magazine, Harpers Bazaar, and Vogue

What are your favorite fashion blogs?
Who What Wear
The Glitter Guide

Les Nouvelles

Thanks Elizabeth! Want to learn more about Elizabeth Gumb and/or The Well Coiffed Closet? Well...

SAVE THE DATE!!!
Thursday, September 26

Fall is a great time to clean out and freshen up your closet! So come enjoy a cocktail (or two) while viewing the latest fall styles provided by Hamden Clothing and getting style tips from Personal Stylist Elizabeth Gumb of The Well Coiffed Closet. You might even get inspired to organize your own closet as there will also be lots of decorative storage products for sale/to order as well as innovative closet organizing ideas from Sidney Wagner of Eclectic. Hope to see you there! (more details and invite to follow)

Eclectic is a Charleston, South Carolina based full-service boutique interior design firm in specializing in the design of residential projects including entire homes and the styling of individual rooms. We also offer virtual e-design services. Please email sidney@eclectic-idg.com for additional information.

Eclectic is a retail shop/design studio located in Mt. Pleasant, South Carolina (just over the bridge from downtown Charleston, South Carolina) selling an array of vintage mid-century pieces, repurposed items, new products and locally made art with a fresh Modern meets Coastal aesthetic.

art, Eclectic, Eclectic Charleston, Elizabeth Gumb, inspiration, life, and more:

Relevant to: Schmoozing With Elizabeth Gumb of The Well Coiffed Closet + Well Coiffed Closet